It's been 19 months since Alec's first symptoms showed up, following the abuse by his teacher. The roller coaster of emotions he felt, that our family felt, is a ride that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
Here are the things we are celebrating in Alec's recovery:
- He can now look at a menu in any restaurant and choose his own meal.
- He can sit through a meal and not have the urge to run away.
- He is once again testing his own blood sugars, measuring out his injection, and giving himself needles.
- He joins us at the family dinner table and eats with us.
- He laughs...multiple times a day.
- He plays with his friends again.
- He rides his bike and goes to the park...on his own.
- He says his prayers before bed, and sleeps through the night (no nightmares)
- He tidies his room.
- He cares for his dog.
I am so grateful that God has restored our beautiful son to us. I won't take these small steps for granted ever again. We are truly blessed.