Friday, December 26, 2008

In the beginning....

There seems to be no good place to start. I have no qualifications as a writer, nor do I have any skill when it comes to relaying my thoughts succinctly.

How does one find meaningful thoughts to jot down when given a blank slate and 30 years of life experience? I guess every story has a beginning and an end....but my story has two beginnings with no end.

My first beginning was 30 years ago (almost 31!). I came into this world screaming at the top of my lungs and, according to my Mother, I never toned it down. Some people might think this a bad thing, like the lady who wondered aloud where I would ever find a husband. It turns out I had to go all the way to France to find a man to take me on. The great thing about my volume is that I can summon my children home within a 10 mile radius. (That's 16 kms in Canada)

My second beginning, and when my real life began, was about 10 years ago. I had just recently been married, given birth to our first baby, and moved to the Czech Republic--away from all that I knew and loved. I was scared and alone in a strange country where I didn't speak the language or understand it. We didn't have a T.V. or phone, and I soon fell into the darkness of isolation and depression. My days were spent writing letters back home and reading the Bible (because it was the only English book I had!).

One special day, I had been reading the book of Romans, and one story stood out. It was the story about Paul praying for a Gentile, and the Holy Spirit descended upon the whole family. They were filled with The Spirit and were jumping for joy. I thought, "That's it? All it took was a little prayer and it made them happy? And, what the heck is this 'Spirit' thing?"

It was time for my afternoon nap (I learned quickly to nap when baby napped), but before I lay down to sleep, I got down on my knees. I said a very simple prayer, "Lord, whatever it is that you gave to those people in the Bible, I want it....I need it." I was NOT expecting what happened next.

I felt a strong downward draft of warm air fall upon me, beginning at my head and enveloping my entire body. As the warmth embraced me, I felt lighter than air with a Peace that lifted the weight of the world off of my shoulders. I had carried so much shame for my actions, and as I was shown the errors of my ways, I was simultaneously shown that my debt had been paid in full, and I was forgiven for each offense.

It was in that moment that I understood my calling in life, and my purpose. I no longer just 'believed' in God and in His Son, but I 'knew' Him from within. From that moment on, I have attempted to pursue His Will for my life. That was my True beginning.

2 comments:

G. L. said...

what a beautiful story! i would love to hear the stories behind how you ended up in all those places...was your husband in the military?

but mostly, thank you for your kind comment. it meant so much to me and honestly, i wasn't expecting anyone to see it, much less commment!! thank you so much...<3

Emily said...

See? I told you you had things to write about! I am thrilled to see the start of this blog and can't wait to read it all. Im going to add you to my sidebar okay?