Monday, December 29, 2008

A picture is worth a thousand words...or pouts.

Okay, so enough of the 'deep' thoughts, and onto some current random happenings.


My husband and I decided to go out shopping today with all four kids. (please don't tell me to refer to them as children, because sometimes I'm convinced they are baby goats!) We were careful to go over the riot act with them (I should probably write it down one day, you'd get a kick out of the details!), and reminded them that when we passed the toy isle, "looking is with your eyes only."


I had in mind to pick up a large canvas print, as our basement wall needed something to make the room looked 'lived in'. All prints were on sale at our local Superstore (Canadian chain), and I found one that was 50% off! I proudly showed my husband the awesome deal and told him how perfect it would look on our empty wall downstairs. When I looked up, his face did not display the 'Sarah, you have such an eye for art...what a wonderful selection for our home' look that I was expecting. Instead, I was given the "you dragged me all the way out here for that?!?" look.

I tried to clarify the look, in case I read it wrong--nope, he confirmed he was not enthusiastic about the print.


I wanted to submit to him, like a 'good' Christian wife would. You know, by placing the print back on the shelf smiling, then say, "Okay, dear. We'll find another one, I have patience."


*sigh*

Yes, it was a loud sigh. Followed by a pout. I dragged my feet a bit (okay, a lot) as we continued to look down the grocery isles for hors d'oeuvres (oh my goodness, I just admitted that I act like a two year old!).


I know God was telling me to pick my battles, but the urge to act like a kid (yes, a baby goat) was stronger at the time. As my husband turned down the isle to find Jalepeno poppers, he asked, "Is this the right way to turn, or is it down the next one?"


"This is the right one," I replied in the most pathetic, defeated voice I could muster (there may have even been a 'bleating goat' in the background).


This is the moment that my husband proved again why I love him so dearly--he cracked up laughing! I couldn't help but giggle too. We both knew I was overreacting and not handling my disappointment well over a silly picture. He gave me a big hug, and told me to buy my picture. There was even a promise to hang it that day!



Yes, I felt very sheepish--or, should I say "goat-ish".


2 comments:

Emily said...

I am totaly laughing at you. I always knew you were the "stomp foot and pout" kind of gal!!!

Blameless said...

It was that obvious, huh? lol! I'm working on that part of me....