Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I'm a wimp

Sometimes it's easier to ignore a problem than to face it head on. At least that's what I'm telling myself so I can continue to ignore the one I have to deal with.

This is going to make me look really bad as a Mom, but I have to honest here....and hopefully writing it out gives me the reality check I need to actually deal with something that needs attention.

Okay, here goes nothing....

I hate taking my kids to the dentist. Scratch that--I hate taking one particular child to the dentist! And wouldn't you know, he's the one that has the most dental issues. You would think that after all he's been through (poor guy has received the worst genes of both sides of the family), he'd get a handle on some of the procedures! Nope, his fear (which presents itself as violent anger) is deep-rooted, and not likely to be abated anytime soon.

Alec. My wonderful, caring, compassionate and sharp little man turns into a terror when there's mention of any extra work needed on his teeth. When he makes up his mind not to open his mouth, there is not one person on this earth that can open his mouth! This has caused me many anxious moments as the hygienist and dentist both look at me as if I have special super powers, and I simply state, "Good luck!"

So, now that you have a little bit of history, let me share the 'problem' that I am avoiding with my dear son, Alec. You see, one of his top teeth has grown in behind a baby tooth (that has finally come out), so it is not in a good position. When we visited the Orthodontist last year, he advised that we come back when the tooth has fully grown in, and that Alec would need an expander put in.

An expander (for those who don't know) is a metal device that hooks onto the back teeth and pushes the jaw outward to give space for more adult teeth. I am familiar with this because my oldest son had one as well. My oldest son, however, is the most docile and co-operative of all my children....so it was a pleasant experience (for me).

As you can guess, I'm not looking forward to addressing this issue....and here comes the part where I look like a bad Mom....I'm so tempted to send my husband to these appointments, just so I don't have to watch the struggles that are sure to ensue!

What kind of mother would abandon her child in a time like this???? The other scenario that has passed through my thoughts involves sedatives and a hospital setting for doing the procedure. I'm not one to advocate for excessively medicating a child, however, I'm also not willing to be the parent of a child that bites off the Orthodontist's fingers and ruins his career!

If you could spare a prayer or two, I'd appreciate God's intervention here. I'm convinced we need a miracle in Alec's life just to get through the procedure!

No comments: