Saturday, January 10, 2009

A lasting gift







Here is a picture of the latest sweater set I made for a little baby girl. I love to knit, but I don't often find time to finish many projects.




This is a pattern that my Grandmother used to make all my children special sets when they were born. I once mentioned to my Mom that I'd love to one day learn how to knit like Grandma, so that I could make these things for friends and family.




My Mom went to visit Grandma and help her with chemo treatments one winter. They had a lot of time on their hands as they waited in hospitals, then at home for the medicine to run its course. During this time, Mom asked Grandma to teach her the pattern.




That Christmas, I opened a strangely shaped package from my Mom. Inside I found knitting supplies and some baby wool. I burst out crying when I opened up a photocopied booklet of Grandma's pattern for baby layettes, and a note saying, "Merry Christmas, Sarah. When you find the time, I will sit down and teach you to read this pattern. Love Mom and Grandma."




Since learning this pattern, I have made 5 sets for our Church's street mission to hand out to new mothers, and 5 other sets for friends. This is one Christmas gift that will keep on giving!






No comments: