Sunday, January 11, 2009

Laughter

Isn't laughter the most wonderful sound? God knew what He was doing when we were designed to produce a sound that emits the joy that bubbles up and out from our hearts.

The hearty laughs are the most fulfilling, in my opinion. The ones that are not forced or expected, they just burst out--sometimes surprising the person making the sound.

It's not often that my children catch me off guard with their jokes. They are still at the stage where they forget the important half of the jokes while reciting them, or they give the punch lines away at the wrong time. I laugh genuinely, although I have to admit it's mostly because they look so cute trying to remember the details.

Friday night, Alec came into the computer room before I left for Bible Study. Ethan was on the laptop beside me, and we were concentrating on our respective screens.

Alec: "Hey guys, wanna hear a construction joke?"

Ethan and I: "Sure."

Alec: "I'm working on it."

With that, he walked away....then it hit me. A loud, booming laugh erupted from my middle and I laughed so hard I cried. It was a good joke. It caught me off guard, and I chased Alec down to snuggle and tickle him.

Laughter is a gift.

No comments: