Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"The sign"

A man was stranded on the roof of his house during a flood. He had a deep Christian faith, so he began to pray earnestly for God to rescue him.

After an hour, a young boy in an inflatable boat floated by, and asked if he needed help. The stranded man replied, "No, sir, I am waiting for God to save me." The boy in the boat left.

Once again, the stranded man petitioned the Lord to save him. About 2 hours later, a man paddled by in a canoe. He saw the stranded man on the roof, and asked if he needed a ride to safety. "No thank you, God will save me--I have faith." The man paddled away.

"Please Lord, give me a sign that you will save me!" cried the man, who was still stranded on his roof. Just as he looked up, a helicopter appeared overhead. On the loudspeaker, the pilot asked if the man needed to be rescued. The stranded man waved the helicopter away, yelling, "I'm okay, I don't need your help, I'm waiting for God!"

The water continued to rise above the house. The man perished in the flood, and went up to Heaven. Once there, he asked God, "Lord, I called out to you to save me, why didn't you?"

In a booming, yet loving voice, the Lord God replied, "I sent you a boat, a canoe and a helicopter....what more did I have to do?"



How often do we ask God for signs in our life to 'prove' that He is Lord? How often do we cry out to Him and ask that He fix a problem or take away a hurt? How often do we listen and accept the help He sends?

I heard this joke many years ago, and laughed at its truth--both in how God sometimes answers our prayers, as well as in how we expect God's answer to look different....bigger.

Imagine the Jews' disappointment when for centuries they had cried out for a saviour, and God's answer was a tiny baby, laying in a manger. Surely God would have sent someone a little more capable....a lot more powerful, right? And, how could He die, if He was indeed the One?

I know in my life, I have rejected help from others time and again. Whether due to pride, embarrassment or just plain self-pity, I did not accept the people sent to me to ease my burdens. I wanted the answers to come from God Himself (with a bolt of lightening or two), I just didn't expect the message to come through friends and acquaintances--or my children.

I have learned over time that to be part of the Body of Christ means that there are other parts that assist my function, and I in turn, assist their function. If we are not working together, we are not growing or accomplishing any of God's work. God can even use non-believers (or 'pre'believers, as I like to refer to them!) to help His children in times of need.

I think my biggest hurdle comes because I sometimes question the intent of those who do not know Christ. I do love "pre" believers, and I have no problems separating the sin from the sinner, but I have a very hard time accepting that God may be working through them to help me. I am actively working on this aspect, as I do believe I've missed the boat, canoe and helicopter on many occasions in this area.

No comments: