Monday, February 9, 2009

Any coffee drinkers out there?

I was never really a coffee drinker until after I had my third child. I think birthing 3 children in 3 years warrants a stimulant beverage just to make it through the day (or at least to begin a day)!

I did cut out caffeine for my fourth pregnancy, but still drank the odd decaf coffee now and then. Once I had finished weaning my last baby, I reintroduced the real deal in my morning routine.

My coffee drinking habits have changed over the years as I've added more socializing to my schedule. What started out as a one-cup-a-day habit, has turned into a minimum 3-cup-a-day routine. I never miss my morning cup, and usually have my second and third cups mid-afternoon. Drinking coffee after 6:00 pm means that I don't usually fall asleep until early morning, so I try to avoid all caffeine in the evenings.

I adore coffee creamers. (Some may call it an addiction, but I'm in denial--shhh!) My Mother enjoys the French Vanilla (fat free) creamer, and I started out liking it too....but my all-time favorite is the Hazelnut flavour (full-fat) cream! YUMMMY!

Oh dear, my mouth is salivating now.

Within a month after finding my favourite cream, I noticed a strange occurrence. My jeans started to shrink! Who would've thunk it? This was not a good scenario, as I really didn't have the funds to replace all my jeans at the time. I made the tough decision to stop buying my cream during the year, but I would allow myself one container for Christmas and one for my birthday. Although it was hard to do, I knew it was best for my budget (and my waist!).

I went to half and half cream. I just couldn't do the 'milk' substitute most of my friends drink-didn't seem natural or enjoyable.

Well, I fell of the proverbial band wagon a few months back and got into the routine of stocking up on my favourite creamers (including a new one, Caramel Vanilla--also VERY good!). I didn't notice a change right away, but the last few weeks have confirmed what I was afraid of: my jeans have shrunk again (companies really should look into a 'non-shrinking' jeans sometime!).

So, knowing the difficult road ahead of me, I decided to try a new approach. I'm going to kick my habit of creamers all together. I'm going black, baby! I hear there's no going back.....(okay, lame attempt at some humour, but you laughed, right?)

That's right, no creamers and no sugar in my coffee anymore. I am now on day two of my program and I think I'm alright. This little experiment will either turn me off completely to coffee, or I will acquire a taste that should be easier on my waistline.

I'll update on my progress (or failure) from time to time.

How do you drink your coffee?

5 comments:

Emily said...

The smell of coffee makes me want to vomit.....

Just Sayin....

Anonymous said...

I'm the opposite of Em. LOVE the smell of coffee, but oh the taste. Ewwwwwwww LOL Hope the transition goes well for ya.

Blameless said...

That happened to me a few times too Em....and nine months later, I knew why. LOL (totally kidding with you!)

I'm not so liking the taste of black coffee. I may just have to give it up for lent! :)

Sarah said...

Oh, how I love coffee. And creamer too. lol
My favorite is Vanilla Caramel! Love it. I even take sugar in mine.:)

Good luck on going black. Hope you get used to it soon!

Mama Tango said...

I'm now a coffee drinker as well (started out only my husband drank it...now I drink more than he does!). I used to put a little coffee with my sugar, then add some cream to it (goodness, I love the vanilla caramel kind). Now, however, I've discovered that I own a few pairs of the Magical Shrinking Jeans as well, so I've cut out all sugar in my coffee. Not quite up for taking it black, but cutting the sugar was *huge* for me.