Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Just another day

Today I had the strongest cravings for coffee cream since I began this creamer boycott. I think I'm on day 9 or so and my resistance is starting to wear down. I almost had myself convinced that one cup with just a splash of cream isn't really 'cheating'....but instantly knew I'd feel guilty if I took it.

I have significantly reduced the amount of coffee that I drink in a day. I do feel a bit sluggish, but no withdrawal headache (yet). As for the jeans issue, it's hard to say if there is any change. They aren't any more tight (so I'm not making matters worse) but the looser fit is probably because I've stretched them with wear. I just finished a load of my laundry, so tomorrow I'll test the new-from-the-dryer size difference.

After my last post, I had to analyse why exactly I was doing this experiment. Was it because I felt pressure from society to fit a certain mold? Was I experiencing a resurfacing of my adolescent insecurities? Was I trying to hide the fact that I had given birth 4 times to rather large babies????

After much soul-searching, I have come to the conclusion that none of the above reasons are motivating me to continue with this unpleasant change. Nope, there is nothing about my decision to cut out creamers that even remotely resembles what some may refer to as a 'diet' (at least not in the typical sense).

This process started out as a money-saving exercise, and I do believe it's somewhat successful. You see, I don't have the funds to buy new jeans or bottoms (darn kids keep needing new clothes and food), so I need to be able to wear the attire that I have in my closet. In order to continue to wear said items, I need to stay a certain size (which I will not share here, thankyouverymuch!).

How much money have I saved? Well, our household now goes through much less creamer with only one person using it....which saves us a whopping $1.67 or so a week. In addition, because I am still fitting into my current wardrobe, that's another $500 not being spent on new clothes. (Okay, I'm exaggerating, but it was fun to think of spending all that money on just me!)

I think I'll reassess my objectives after 1 month. If there is no change in my ability to slip into my jeans, I'll pray for another path (because I really want my cream back!!!).



No comments: