Sunday, February 15, 2009

Do you see what I see?

Are looks important to God?

No really...Does He care what size pants I wear, or how many rolls are visible outside my many layers of clothes? Does it bother Him if I have a few chins, or hair growing on my upper lip? Does God look at a jelly-belly and think "nope, don't love that one"?

If God does require me to be tall and slender in order to be loved, I have two problems right off the bat:

1) I am not tall. Barring any radical surgery, I will not grow anymore vertically....in fact, I am losing height as I age.

2) I am nowhere near slender. Unless I suck in really hard and duct tape my mid-section tightly...but even then, I spill over in my shoulders and arms. (and there's absolutely no way to hide the hips and thighs)

Seems silly to even contemplate God sizing us up by what the world sees, doesn't it? So, if the obvious answer to these queries is 'of course He doesn't base His love on looks'....then why do we spend so much time focusing our efforts in this area?

What exactly does God measure us by? Well, it's very clear that God sees our heart, and knows our thoughts. Two things that we are capable of hiding from the world, but not from God.

Some of us have very large hearts....it's funny, society does not look down upon those with this condition. In fact, the larger your heart, the more accepted you become in all circles. No one will tell you your heart is 'too big' and that maybe it's time to show less of it.

Likewise, our thoughts and ideas have the capacity to build people up....but also tear people down. How we use our thoughts either alienates us from the 'crowd' or endears us to others. With God's help, the lies that we had believed for so many years that echo in our minds will disappear, and in their place will be joy and gladness that will spill over to encourage others.

The next time I'm trying on clothes, I am not going to ask myself (or my husband) "do I look fat in this?"....I think I'll ask a new question, "Is my heart full of love today, and my thoughts on Jesus?" Because in the end, that's all that matters. I will not be taking this temporary shell with me when I am made perfect. God sees the soul that will one day be ready for eternity with Him.

The change that I need is from within. There is not a single exercise machine or diet that can help me accomplish this!

Lord renew my heart and mind that I may grow in your love. Open my eyes to what you see, that I may live a fuller and more blessed life. Amen.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

So does this mean you'll start using creamer again and enjoying your coffee?:)
Just joking!!!
Eryka, I so struggle with my focus being on my outward appearance instead of inward. I worry more about what people will think about my booty size, or the zit on my nose than what they will think of my attitude or my heart.
Thanks for the reminder of where my focus should be.

~Sandy said...

Great post! You are so right. God cares more about what's inside than out. If only we could learn to view others the same way:)Imagine how different life would be.
Hugs, sandy

Blameless said...

Sarah, you are too funny! I originally had a line in there saying that I was secreting looking for an excuse to start drinking creamers again, and that was the purpose of the post! Ha!

Yes, Mrs. Sandy, learning to see how God sees us helps to view others through God's love too! It would be a wonderful world if everyone allowed this to happen! (One day we will all see clearly)

Hugs,
Sarah