Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My morning

I woke up today and had absolutely NO motivation to do any housework. Actually, most days are like this, but today I decided not to push past the feeling....I just let it be.

I stayed in my pajamas, and let Kalyna do the same. I didn't brush my teeth or brush my hair! After sending the older children off to school, I turned on some music and danced with my little girl. We bounced, twirled and laughed as we both clumsily stomped around the living room.

When we were nice and tired from the activity, Kalyna asked me to lay down with her and 'cuddle'. I stroked her hair and stared into her blueish-green eyes. We gave each other Eskimo kisses, and wrinkled up our noses as we talked about silly things.

I asked my almost-three-year-old what she was thinking and she replied, "You are beautiful."

Is this what I've been missing each morning as I try to get my house in order to start the day? Wow. I think I need to reassess my priorities. Again.

We snuggled for awhile longer, then I took my shower. I tackled the pile of dishes in the sink and put the newspaper in the recycling bin. The work load seemed less, and my heart light. I do believe I've found the perfect way to start each day.

3 comments:

Emily said...

What a perfect start to a wonderful day. I fully believe that playing with your children, and having the quality time is so importnant.

Growing up we had this hanging in our home. Which is funny because now my Mom tells me my house is a mess. LOL

Quiet Down Cobwebs
Dust Go To Sleep
I'm Rocking My Babies
And Babies Don't Keep

Blameless said...

What a sweet saying! My Mother gave me this one to put on my fridge: "My house is clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy."

~Sandy said...

Sounds like a perfect start to a wonderful day. It reminds me of that poem called,
"Excuse This House"
Some houses try to hide the fact that children shelter there,
ours boasts it quite openly, the signs are EVERYWHERE.
For smears are on the windows, little smudges are on the doors,
I should apologize, I guess, for toys strewn on the floor.
But I sat down with the children and we played and laughed and read
and if the doorbell doesn't shine, their eyes will shine instead.
For when at times I'm forced to choose the one job or the other;
I want to be a housewife, but first I'll be a mother.
Enjoy every second because they grow up fast.
Hugs, Sandy