Monday, February 2, 2009

The Living Word

This phrase has been a part of my life since I was a little girl. I first heard these words as my parents hosted Bible study each week, and spoke of The Bible as 'the Living Word'.

When I was old enough to read, I saw this phrase typed below the larger print of The Bible on my special book. I just assumed the two went hand-in-hand, and didn't think much of the deeper meaning behind the phrase.


As I grew, I pondered the meaning a little more, and came to the conclusion that it had something to do with the fact that The Bible had survived thousands of years, so therefore represented a long life.


A priest whom I am close to pointed out that the Living Word actually represents Christ....for He lives among us, and is The Word. Ahhhh! That made more sense! I accepted this as Truth (which it is), although I couldn't quite grasp the enormity of the concept.



Soon after my experience in the Holy Spirit (or baptism in the Spirit), I had my first encounter with a divine lesson. God placed a scripture on my heart, and instructed me to read it 3 times over. The reading was: Romans 12:3-5



"(3)For by the Grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. (4) For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, (5) so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another."



I read it the first time, and thought: "I know who this message is for!" There was a lady back home that I had always thought was self-righteous and 'holier than thou' in her attitude, and I was sure that God was telling me to share this passage with her to 'set her straight'! I was caught up in my excitement over being used in this way and almost forgot that I was supposed to read it 3 times....(why Lord? If I 'get' it after one reading....why do I need all 3?)



After the second read-through, I was more convinced than ever that my first thoughts were accurate. I must be a really GOOD Christian if my first instincts were so accurate, right?


I began reading for the 3 time, with a puffed-up ego and pride.....that was soon deflated as I realized the passage was for ME! It was me who was thinking more of myself than I ought to....it was me that was not behaving as a member of the body of Christ, and it was me who needed a reminder that we all have a role to play in God's plan.....no matter how different our 'functions' were.

How awesome is it that Christ knew I needed to read it 3 times before my eyes would be open? He knows me, and wants me to know Him.


In those moments, the true meaning of 'The Living Word' was revealed to me. The words came alive on the pages of my Bible, and grew in order to teach me. The Spirit within my soul showed me where I needed growth through a passage that I had read numerous times before, but had never 'seen'. I can read a passage on one day and understand a piece of the puzzle, and that same passage on another day--in another situation--can mean something completely different, and yet helpful.


Christ is alive! In our hearts, through His Word, and in Heaven.


I can feel Him. I can know Him, and I can Love Him. These things are only possible if He lives.

No comments: