Thursday, March 19, 2009

Single Handedly

This week I began to watch my niece (2) and nephew (4.5) while their regular childcare provider takes a maternity break for two months.

They are both really well behaved, so I do not have concerns about tantrums erupting too often...but learning to juggle 3 children under 5 again has been a challenge. One is still in diapers (wow, was I ever out of practice!!!), and the other is in his inquisitive stage. I am kept on my toes answering questions about things I've never taken notice of before. For example, "Why does chocolate make milk brown?"

I've just always accepted that it did.

I took the time to prepare for this new routine that includes extra mouths to feed and a couple more minds to keep involved. It was a good thing I did, as I can't imagine having to scramble for ideas to keep these little sponges satisfied!

My husband left early in the morning on Monday for a week long business trip. Perfect timing, isn't it? I did a little laugh when I found out the week prior, and thought there were going to be some real testing times in this first week.

Kalyna did decide (after 2 years of full night sleeps) to wake at 1:30 a.m. the first 2 nights. No fever, no illness, no need to urinate....just wanted company. I don't remember being this tired after having my newborns!! I guess my body just doesn't handle interrupted sleep like it used to.

I was like a new person when she finally slept through last night. I will never complain about having to wake half an hour early again!

I have done well on my own (with God's help)....I have single handedly held down the fort and kept the home fires burning without extra help. I was even able to attend my oldest daughter's concert, hire a babysitter for a meeting, and get grocery shopping done with 6 kids in tow!

I'm ready for my husband to come home now. My super powers are all but used up.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I am LOVING reading your blog Sarah! You are a very impressive writer . . . and have me hooked from here on in. :-)