Thursday, April 30, 2009

Strangers on a plane

I recently took a flight down to Ohio for my brother's wedding. I sat with my sister the whole way down, and she was there to hold my hand when we hit some turbulence just over Chicago (I now know why they call it the 'windy city').

I am not usually a nervous passenger on planes, but my stomach is prone to more than flip flops when we hit air pockets or strong winds. Cutting through storm clouds, although quite fascinating, is a test of my ability to clench my jaw and prevent my stomach contents from reversing their path.

Once we had soared above the clouds, it became smooth sailing, and I no longer needed the assurance of my sister's hand. My sister was grateful to have her hand back in order to accept the drink the stewardess was offering.

I was completely at ease as we checked in for our return flight...until I saw that my sister and I were not going to be seated together! Who was going to hold my hand????

My sister gave me some very good advice on how to breath through the anxiety and 'pretend' that I actually loved turbulence. Yeah. Not going to happen.

I decided that I'd just have to clench my hands together and pretend I was holding someone else's hand. I settled myself into the window seat that I had been assigned to, and proceeded to study the emergency landing procedures and feel under my seat for the life jacket that the booklet claimed was there. (it was!)

A business man placed his briefcase in the overhead compartment, then sat down next to me. We didn't say a word. Not even 'hello'. My reasoning was apparent (I was immersed in the emergency manual), his was just habit I'm sure.

We prepared for take-off. I prayed silently, all the while wringing my hands.

The plane was airborne. I braced myself for the clouds....evidently I didn't brace hard enough.

The plane pitched to one side, dropped a couple hundred meters, then pitched the other way to right itself. I was terrified! I lost my normal social etiquette skills, and grabbed the businessman's hand next to me. He hadn't even flinched through the whole ordeal, but my sudden panicked gesture shocked him beyond what the turbulence possibly could.

He turned to me, smiled, then gently said, "Just a little wind, nothing to be scared of."

I was mortified, embarrassed, and laughing all at once. Once the seat belt sign was turned off, I went to join my sister who had an empty seat next to her. I thanked the gentleman as I squeezed past him. I think he was relieved that he wouldn't see me for the landing.

Lord,
Thank you for stangers on planes. Amen

6 comments:

Emily said...

We can never fly together. We would be a mess! Its funny, I grew up flying, at least 4 or 5 times a year, and now as an adult, it scares the crap out of me. I think being a parent makes your life seem more valuable, if that makes sense.

G. L. said...

that made me say "awwwww!" aloud.
i have never flown. and honestly, i don't want to. ok, maybe one day. but if i do, i hope i have a "hand buddy". :-)

Lindsay said...

Oh my gosh, that is too funny. I love that the man was alright with you grabbing his hand. And I probably would've done the same thing. I've flown quite a bit, but it still scares me when we hit turbulence too!!!

~Sandy said...

It can shake your nerves a little. We flew in Sept 08 and went through a storm. Normally I'm not scared but this time I was as the plane rocked side to side. I can just picture you. I'm just glad God brought you down safely:)

Kristy said...

Hi! I am afraid of flying and once when I was 18 yrs old - I was on a plane and it was just lifting off - that part when it feels like you are quickly going up on a rollar coaster. Well, I grabbed a man's LEG when we began to ascend like that! I was so embarrassed! He just laughed.

Blameless said...

Glad to know I have company in my embarrassment and irrational fears! ;)