Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I don't like hard work

And preparing walls for painting is HARD work to me.

The plan was to find someone (cheap) to do the painting for us. Our living/dining room walls are in need of a new coat of colour after 30 years of plain ole (barely) beige. We have lived in this house for nearly 10 years, and it's taken us this long to commit to a bold colour combo for these rooms.

I was in the midst of organizing to get estimates from various painters when my husband blurts out, "I really miss painting with you Sarah. We had such good times when we did the other rooms....and I felt closer to you when we did a project like that."

How do you NOT paint yourself after that kind of remark? So. Here we are at the project start date. And I'm not looking forward to the hard work.

I have chosen a 'Brickage' red colour for two of the walls in the dining area, and a 'Toffee crisp' colour for the three larger walls that connect into the living room area. I really do love the colours that I have chosen, and so does my husband--by default (he stated that he didn't care what colours were picked, he just wanted to get started).

After taking down all the framed photos and buying all the tape, Arnaud (my husband) decided that before painting he'd need to mud the holes left behind. Not only does he need to mud the holes, he also needs to sand those mudded holes after letting them dry for a couple days.

Somehow I think he must have been remembering a painting project with someone else when he spoke earlier....someone a lot more patient than me. The longer this prep time takes, the more I wish I had hired a professional who would have been finished by now! Why couldn't I have just suggested that we paint canvas' together? Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

As I type, he's upstairs sanding away. I love that man!

When all is said and done, I know we'll be happy with the end result. I'll be sure to post pictures when it's done.

1 comment:

~Sandy said...

How are things coming along???? Just wanted to stop by a say hello!
Hugs, Sandy