Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pain is not Punishment

I have already come to the realization that my children do not belong to me but have been entrusted to my care for as many days as God has written for them in His book. I don't get to decide when He calls them home, but I do get to love them each and every day I am allowed to be their Mom.

With the recent worries over Alec's health, I have been praying that Jesus would take away his discomforts and pain. I have been agonizing over decisions to be made, and lamenting about how unfair it is for my child to be going through so many struggles.

In short, I have been having a pity party....

In the midst of my prayers and petitions for mercy, God revealed to me that pain in life is not punishment. It is one aspect of human life that is shared universally....whether it be emotional, physical or mental pain, we all experience it at some point in our lives. What you do with that pain is the difference between being defeated or being lifted above your circumstances.

The temptation for me to curl up in a ball and stay in my valley of despair is strong. It's an effort on my part each day to choose to be hopeful and content and to share my burdens with those who keep my eyes on Christ's promise of comfort.

My job is not to ensure my children live a life void of pain. That would be an impossible task! No, my role is to teach them where to turn to for healing and comfort. I must walk with them through the hurts, not around them.

I am awaiting a phone call from Alec's doctors with blood test results. He is being screened for a condition called Celiac's disease. I will continue to give Thanks to God for going ahead of us on this path and providing us with direction, even though my heart is heavy.

No comments: