Sunday, July 12, 2009

Audience size

Do you find that people's message (or how they present themselves) changes as their audience grows? Like somehow they have to cater to a wider range of opinions, so they end up sacrificing a part of who they are in order to please the crowds?

Take, for instance, Oprah. (please bear with me) I remember watching her when I was really young, and thinking, 'Wow, she really cares about these people she is interviewing!'

Through the years, as she became more popular (and richer!), I noticed a more aggressive and self-absorbed 'celebrity' coming out. Her message was no longer as clear....and sadly (or not), I stopped watching her show. She wasn't herself anymore....or at least not the Oprah I had enjoyed years before.

Similarly, Dr. Phil used to wear his heart on his sleeve when he was a frequent guest of Oprah's. With his new show and expanded following, maybe it became too much to connect on a personal level with every single guest looking for answers.

His interactions with people in pain has become more of a bully approach, as opposed to a friend coming alongside to help guide them.

And look what happened (or is happening) to President Obama. All that energy during his campaign, meant to endear him to millions, has given way to the exhausting reality that you cannot please everyone all the time.

This leads me to my thoughts today about this whole 'blogging' world that I apparently belong to now. The same feelings I had when I started writing (naive to writing, no computer skills, not much of a story to tell, etc) came to the surface, and I began questioning who exactly am I 'talking' to--or directing my thoughts to--on my blog?

What is my purpose for writing?

If there's one thing I remember from High school English (and I don't remember much) it's that you should know your audience before you put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard in this case).

Do I really need a purpose to blog? I guess not. I just do it. *Thank you Nike for that phrase*

Wow. I'm random today, aren't I? (redundant question, no need to answer....please)
So, in keeping with my randomness, I'll post some unrelated photos too. :)







3 comments:

Emily said...

I love your writings. Looks like a fun summer!!

G. L. said...

I have often wondered, too, what the point is to what I say (half the reason I deleted everything, and now I'm kicking myself for it... dang it!!)
I've come to realize I write because I can.

Also, I totally get what your saying... I knew a music guy who was personable and nice when he was still "little" but then once he got "bigger", so to speak, he just sorta seemed to forget who loved him, and who had tried to help him along...

ps. I like your pool!!

Lindsay said...

I completely agree with you. Don't like the bullying Dr.Phil does, just to get ratings. And I also think Oprah has become very opinionated, and stuck up in her more recent years. Although I still religiously watch her show (thank you PVR gods!) because the stories and lessons are great, she doesn't seem the big hearted person she once was.

And I too have thought about who my audience is. Even though I work in computers, I've often found myself quite naive in who really cares to read it. And so I often find myself writing just as a hobby for myself. If people read it, then that's great, I've always been a bit of an open book. Because I feel it's so important to like a person for who they REALLY are, and not who they're trying to be.

Anyhow, I'm completely off topic. But a great post yet again Sarah! I love reading your blog, and think you are so genuine in your writings. So please keep it up!!! You are a truly wonderful person.