Friday, July 17, 2009

Is there anything more perfect than a smile?

I gave up striving for perfection years ago, but there remains a small annoying part of me that still thinks I can attain it.

Placing furniture just right.

Making sure the painting on the wall is not slanted....even a millimeter off would not be right.

Licking my finger and wiping off the last smear of chocolate from the corner of my daughter's mouth.

Do any of these actions serve a purpose beyond 'fitting the mold'? Nope.

In my angst to keep the upstairs tidy and the laundry up to date, I neglected the more important needs....my kids' enjoyment of their summer holidays. As I looked around at my organized home, there was something missing. A sparkle...but not because anymore cleaning was necessary...no, the sparkle was missing from my children's eyes.

*sigh*

How could I make it up to them? I know I can't get back the minutes I wasted stressing over the dust bunnies...but what could I plan to get the excitement back into our home?

Ahh...the old, unpainted playhouse in the backyard. I had been meaning to get it painted for years now, but it had never made it to my priority list.

I had big plans to find a colour that would blend into the garden or even match the house. You know, make it look perfect.

As I listed off the colours the kids could choose from, I noticed the shoulders begin to slump and the initial excitement of being involved with the painting seemed to fade.

Ouch. I was doing it again.

I threw out the list of colours. I carted all four of them to Home Depot and said, "Have at it...find a colour you want."

Amazingly enough, they all agreed on a single colour.....Neon Green.

I can't say I'm excited about the colour. It most likely will stand out like a sore thumb in the neighborhood....but the bright smiles on each of my kids' faces convinced me it was the perfect colour.

Pictures will follow in the days to come.


I told you it was bright....I can't wait to fill the sand box up when it's all done. First layer is finished. Tomorrow we'll put on the second layer (if it doesn't rain), then fill the box with sand on the weekend!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Good for you! Neon Green will look great because they picked it, and they will forever feel like their opinion counted in your family. And that is just plain awesome parenting!

G. L. said...

that is, without a doubt, THE perfect color. you are such a great mom!